OffRoad tires for 2016 X4 - BMW X4 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 08-24-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
OffRoad tires for 2016 X4

I have been trying to get some off road tires for my X4 2.0d xdrive, so that I can do some serious off road driving, namely hit Morocco next year - I love in Portugal. The problem is that there are no off road tires with the 245/50R18 measure...
Anyone knows what wheel/tires measure I could fit in the car for 16/17" size wheel? Has anyone tried this? Alternatives?
Being non standard sizes, offical BMW answer is obviously not supported.
Thanks!
post #2 of 2 Old 09-06-2019, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting ... I've just bought a set of used factory 18" M mags with the express intention of fitting a less road orientated tyre for when we go through outback Australia, notorious for very long corrugated dirt roads. No way would I attempt such a trip on 19" road tyres.

I haven't fitted tyres yet as we're not at the point of doing such a drive but I've been looking at Goodyear Wrangler TripleMax 235/55R18 (non-RFT) which are 1.7% taller than the 19" road tyres. I'm not overly concerned by the difference as my dashcam shows GPS speed and the car reads about 3% fast so this tyre "should" be closer to the actual traveling speed. The car will still read slightly fast, which is fine and still legal.

These tyres might be a new pattern and may not be available yet in your region. They are supposed to have good wet braking and reinforced sidewalls which might help reduce sidewall punctures on roads with large sharp rocks. Not a M/T pattern if that's what you're looking for.

There aren't many options for 245/50R18 as they're designed for tarmac, however there might still be the Yokohama Geolander AT.

The 235/55R18 size has many options for lighter duty 4X4 ... Cooper CS5 Ultra, Cooper ATT, Dunlop GrandTrek AT22, etc. Look for a tyre with reinforced sidewalls! These are all non-RFT.

We don't intend on doing "serious" offroad work, I don't think the 200mm clearance on the X4 would be up for that compared to the more established Toyotas etc., but I'm fairly sure these tyres will suit our purposes.

I intend to buy another 18" wheel to carry as a spare but also have the BMW puncture inflater kit, a puncture plug kit, jack, wedge and torque wrench packed in the boot (trunk) ... in case.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page